Archive for 'EVENTS'
Posted on 09. Jan, 2010 by kahlilalmustafa.
- Last year was Barack Obama’s Inauguration. This year is The People’s Inauguration
kahlil almustafa, The People’s Poet and author of From Auction Block to Oval Office leads an interactive event combining performance poetry and critical dialogue commemorating the one-year anniversary of President Obama’s inauguration.
When: January 20th, 2010
44 Charlton Street (on the corner of Charlton and Varick) New York, New York 10014
Time: Doors 6:30pm, Poetry & Panel 7pm
- Rosa Clemente – 2008 Green Party Vice-Presidential Candidate
- Cindy Sheehan – author of “Not One More Mother’s Child”
- Michael Skolnik – Political Director to Russell Simmons & Editor for GlobalGrind.com
“kahlil almustafa’s poems are extraordinary in their political complexity and aesthetic sensibility. His language in From Auction Block to Oval Office is crystal-clear and the ideas are continually provocative.”
– Howard Zinn, author, A People’s History of the United States
This event will be interactive. The panel will respond to the critical questions raised by the poems. Audience members will have the opportunity to create their own poems. Panelists to be announced.
Some of the questions to be addressed:
- How do we create a space for people to express the ways Barack Obama has inspired them and create a space for principled criticism?
- Is this the closing of a chapter in the American narrative beginning with the auction block and concluding with the Obamas in the White House? Or is the narrative of African enslavement being used to promote the idea of America perfecting its democracy?
- It has been said that the Hip-Hop generation greatly impacted the election in 2008. How has the Hip Hop generation been impacted by the campaign, Obama’s presidency, and how will the Hip-Hop generation continue to be engaged?
The event is powered by the Mighty Mighty